Wednesday, March 7, 2012
A World of Opportunities!
So, ever since Gabe was a few months old I've been thinking "If I only knew how to sew than I could make this...." or "I can't find what I'm looking for at the store, wish I knew how to make it myself" and many more thoughts along these lines. Well, the urge to learn how to sew got really strong recently when I fell in love with wool diaper covers. Wool, if you did not know, is amazing due to it's natural water repellence BUT if pushed will absorb 30% of its weight in moisture. Also, it's anti-fungal and the lanolin in the wool naturally kills the stinky pee-pee bacteria :) so I only wash them once every 2 weeks! Anyway, this post isn't about wool. It's about how I REALLY wanted to learn to sew so I could make my own wool covers out of old wool sweaters (found at local thrift stores). New wool covers can cost between $25 - $65 and you can usually find a used one online for $8 - $20 depending on the condition of it. Well I bought 2 new ones awhile back for $25 ea. and soon after saw a blog about making your own wool cover out of an old sweater. I didn't really consider it at first because I thought "I don't know how to sew, or even own a machine so there's no point to it." But then, one morning when I should have been studying, I decided to go to Salvation army "just to see." I looked up and down every sweater isle and found three 100% wool sweaters! For $1.99 ea.!!! I was ecstatic! I check out and the lady says my total is $2.98?!? My math isn't the best but that sounds off to me. Turns out everything in the store was 50% off that day!! So I essentially got $75 worth of diaper covers for $2.98, how awesome is that! (and I'm recycling :)
Can't you just imagine this on a cute baby butt!?
(sorry for the horrible pink background)
My husband, hearing me talk about all the projects I'd like to do "someday" and how I was dreading borrowing my step-grandma's sewing machine, got me a sewing machine for my birthday!!! Last night, I sat down and figured out how to thread it and do the settings (took A LOT longer than expected). Being me, I couldn't just leave it at that, I had to try to make something. So after practicing a little on some cut up rags, I attempted to make a pair of longies! Longies are wool pants that can also be used as a diaper cover. However, I didn't want to destroy one of my wool sweaters so I practiced on an old polyester sweater I had. I used this tutorial http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/wool-diaper-cover.html.
I accidentally sewed one leg inside out. In the tutorial it says to put one leg inside the other, apparently when you do this, the leg going inside needs to be turned wrong side out...now ya know :) Also, I made the waistband extra long for night time but it can be rolled down during the day.
I plan on making one diaper cover and one pair of longies from each sweater. After I am confident enough to finish them, I will let you know how they turn out!