Tuesday, June 12, 2012

You want to be a what!?

Many of you may know that I am currently a full time student at ISU. When I meet new people/classmates they often ask "So what are you majoring in?" When they hear that I'm a history major they then ask if I'm getting certified (to teach)...as if the only thing you can do with a history degree is teach high schoolers. The other question, now that I am a senior, is what do I want to do with my history degree? What jobs am I looking into? My response to both questions, "I want to be a stay at home mom, Lord willing." Their response, "What? But what about your degree?!" I mean, why go to college and then "waste" your education (and money)? The thing is, I don't see my 4 years (with a 1 year maternity break thrown in totally 5yrs) of college as a waste. The skills I have learned, the experiences I've had, and the friends I have made are all worth it. If it were not for my time at ISU I would not have learned the critical analytical skills required to research a subject in depth. It is this knowledge that helped me research my VBAC, home birth, becoming a doula, hospital birth, etc. that has led me to my journey to chose a vaginal birth after cesarean- even though society and many doctors pushed a repeat cesarean. It is the idea of having an open mind and never taking facts at face value- do the research and find out for yourself. My education has given me confidence in my abilities. I will use these things for the rest of my life.

Also, my babies won't be babies forever. One day they will all be off to school, and I will need something to do. Maybe I will go straight into the job market, or maybe I'll go back and get my PhD so I can work at a museum! If my husband looses his job or can no longer provide for us, then I have my education to fall back on and help me get a job to support my family. Just as important is the fact that I will be able to tell my children that mommy graduated from college, that education is important. I'd rather my children hear that mommy completed what she put her mind to instead of giving up when life got hard. Not only that, but the joy and pride I will feel when I can say that I graduated from college with two kids! 

So no, my time in college was not a waste. It has helped prepare me for the most important job in the world, being a good mother. 

 My best friends/cousins right after we moved into our apartment (1st year at ISU). 
 Beth and I on central campus- sophomore year.
Gabriel at about 3 or 4 months old representing ISU! 

No comments:

Post a Comment