Monday, May 14, 2012


So I had an appointment with Dr. Bellaire at Methodist Lakeview clinic in Des Moines today. We had an ultrasound which put the EDD at Dec. 10, 2012. I've been saying that my last period was March 2nd and I ovulate late so my due date is the 9th or 10th . However, the docs have been saying that it is Dec. 7th and I'm just like ok, whatever...but when people ask me I tell them "around Dec. 9th" because baby will come when s/he comes. I was feeling very justified when the ultrasound confirmed my dates instead of the docs, but she said "well looks like you're about 10 weeks so we'll just stick with that Dec. 7th due date."

This may not seem like a big deal, but to me it is just annoying that the docs won't listen to me. I track my cycles, I know my body, and I have educated myself on conception, pregnancy, and birth. I just thought that when their "dating scan" confirmed I was right they would at least acknowledge it. Also, my real concern is that I'm a VBAC patient and they put more restrictions on me. Their patients are not allowed to go past 41 weeks, in which case I would have to schedule a repeat c-secion. So in their opinion if I go to Dec. 14th and no baby I will be called in to schedule a c-section. However, I know that I have the right to refuse any treatment I do not want. I can refuse to schedule a c-section or to show up to one. My plan is to keep my due date at Dec. 9th/10th and if I get to say, Dec. 18th, then I would schedule the c-section.

Four or five days may not seem like a huge difference, but when it comes to giving birth, it is. Baby#2 may just decide to come within those few days. I really hope not to have to worry about this. Gabriel came at 38 weeks 6 days (so basically 39 weeks) and I am praying that this child comes before or on the due date as well; but every child is different.

Another thing that irked me today? The doc gave me a "VBAC Consent Form" which she said outlined the risks of both VBAC and c-section so I could make an informed decision. Luckily, I've already read multiple documents and scholarly journals regarding the risks of VBAC, such as the 0.7% risk of uterine rupture. This consent form they gave me states that "There is a chance my uterus will rupture or tear during the VBAC. The chance of this happening is about 1% or 1 in 100." Personally, I don't appreciate them rounding up. I want the actual, real statistic. It goes on to mention chances of infant death, brain damage, and me loosing my life or uterus. It then states "With a VBAC, I may have fewer problems after the birth and a shorter hospital stay. Between a VBAC and a C-section, a C-section has more risks."  However, it does not go into any detail of those risks associated with a c-section, it simply says a few lines down, "Repeat C-section also has some risks. My doctor has told me about the risks." My doctor did not mention the risks of repeat c-section. And I just find it ironic that they openly state that c-sections have more risks yet only focus on the risks of VBACing. ARRGGHH!


  1. wow totally!!! so proud of you for doing a VBAC, I hope labor and delivery all go well for you and baby! The stats are in your favor!

  2. Thanks Christine! Jaime and I are praying it goes well because we know it is better for baby and mom to have a vaginal birth.